Friday, February 6, 2009

10k Plan Week 5

It was in the mid-40s Sunday afternoon so I went outside for my 9-miler. Going out was fine but after turning around the wind picked up and made things quite difficult. Thankfully the sun was in front of me and still strong so I was warm... but I was soon pretty well bonked out. What took less than 40 minutes out took around 45 back. Maybe going out at 2:30 after only eating a crumb bun at 9 am was a bad idea.

Monday my plan was to do just a 30-minute recovery run on the treadmill but I felt so good I ended up doing a 45-minute "recovery run" on the treadmill.

Tuesday I actually got up out of bed and ran before work (quite a milestone, actually). Did a 45-minute progression run ending with 5 minutes at 7.3 (8:13). The run felt great but by the time I got to work my left hip flexor was extremely tight and sore. Lot's of ice and some very light stretching before bed.

Wednesday it was much better but still a bit sore and a bit tight. More ice and light stretching before bed.

Thursday felt pretty good. Got in a 30-minute 4-mile tempo run mostly at 8.2 (7:19). Hip flexor felt fine. But later my right inner shin had some shin splint like soreness. More ice and light stretching.

So that's 24 for the week... the most since I also did 24 the week prior to my 5k in November.

After 2 days of rest (and hopefully no sore spots) next week looks like this...

Sunday: 10 Long (first ever 10-miler)
Monday: 4 Recovery
Tuesday: 5 Easy/Progression
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 5 including 4x800 intervals @ 3:16
Friday: 3 Recovery
Saturday: Rest

Total: 27 miles

No comments: