Monday, February 22, 2010

Time to Strengthen the Feet

I currently wear big 'ol cushioned supportive trainers. New Balance 769s. I bought some light-weight New Balance 905 trainers to use for indoor racing. To break them in a wore them for about 15 minutes at the start of a treadmill recovery run and then switched back to my usual trainers. Oh, my... my usual trainers are really heavy and feel like crap! Now not only do I wear big 'ol cushioned shoes but I also wear them with prescription orthotics and I leave the shoe's original insole in place. Can't have too much "protection', right! I got to this point because it was the only way I could run without the pain from bunions forcing me to stop. And it's worked. But the downside is that my feet have grown progressively weaker. So... time for some foot strengthening. Here's my to do list...

1. Incorporate foot strengthening exercises into weekly routine.
2. Incorporate diagonals into weekly routine. Maybe some barefoot or in socks on turf.
3. Continue experimenting with lighter weight trainers.
4. Maybe take the original insoles out of my trainers.

Take it all slowly... my feet are in no shape to go trail running in Vibrams... at least not yet.

No comments: